If walls could speak we would be able to hear incredible stories of the Manor’s history. What happened at the Manor during the 16th century? What tactics did the headquarters’ officers plan during the winter and continuation wars? What kind of topics were discussed over dinner with the President Urho Kekkonen? How was everyday life at the manor? Today every guest can add their own story to the Manor’s history.
First written documents about Tertti: the farm was called “Hintsala rustholli” (an estate under obligation to equip a cavalryman for a war). During the period of Great Hate a man and a horse were equipped for the King’s army. The “rustholli” was named after its master Hannu Hintsa.
Period of “rustholli”. Owners and masters included gentry, for example Henrik von Brandenburg.
The era of the family Pylkkänen’s begins. Mr. Aatami Pylkkänen purchased Tertti on Iivari’s day on 22nd of August. Transaction included also 900 hectares of land. The son Iivari started renovating the estate’s buildings as well as clearing more arable land. The garden was designed and built by gardener Dahlström from St. Petersburg. Furthermore, Tertti’s famous rose was planted.
A dairy school founded by Tertti’s dairy. The first students of the school were ten girls. One of these girls was Edla Ahvenainen to whom Iivari soon laid his eyes on. On 6th of September 1897 they got married. There were 200 guests invited to the wedding and music filled the area for several days. Guests came from far and apart, including Iivari’s army companion Oskar Merikanto (a famous Finnish composer). Edla and Iivari had seven children, five boys and two girls.
Tertti’s military history continued at the beginning of the 20th century. As Tertti was under the obligation to equip a cavalryman, two eldest sons left for the War of Independence. After the war Iivari continued to cultivate the area of Tertti in independent Finland. He used to organize a big feast twice a year, on Tapani’s and Iivari’s days.
The start of the Winter War changed many things in Tertti. Five sons left for the front. After the bombing of Mikkeli on 5th of January 1940, Artillery Officer Svanström and his staff were transferred to Tertti. During the Continuation War the headquarters’ intendant General Officer Gustafsson was stationed at Tertti together with his staff.
The war took its toll: two of the sons were killed in action at an interval of one month.
Post-war period: Tertti was still a traditional farmhouse. Olavi Pylkkänen took over together with his wife Liisa. The farm’s operations focused on dairy cattle (which was described as “excellent”) as well as breeding sheep. Olavi used to name his cattle after famous people: a boar purchased from Mustiala was called “Bobrikof”, an award-winning bull was called “Naippo von Nusseberg”, doe goats were called Tamara and Tabe and the last black ewe of the flock of sheep was known by the name Silvia.
The management of Tertti is passed to the hands of Pepita and Matti Pylkkänen. They decide to concentrate on tourism and specialized farming. The buildings have been renovated with respect to old traditions and the garden and immediate surroundings have been restored to resemble the landscape at the end of the 19th century.
Tertti Manor is granted the Building and Environmental Art prize of Southeastern Finland as a recognition of treasuring traditions.
The owners of Tertti, Pepita and Matti Pylkkänen, are granted Gloria Food prize in recognition of treasuring manor traditions and sustained work.
Tertti Manor celebrated its 110th anniversary in the ownership of Pylkkänen family. All of the guest rooms have been renovated, interior decoration by Mirja Backmansson.
Tertti Manor celebrated its 120th anniversary in the ownership of Pylkkänen family. Tertti get its own stamp and recipe-book.
Dairy Cafe & Shop 10 years!
Congratulations Manor restaurant 40 years!
Restaurant get award of number 39 best restaurant in Finland